The price of faculty continues to soar every year. Over the past 30 years, this price has elevated by as much as to 500% — no matter whether or not the varsity was public, non-public, a four-year or a two-year faculty. That is why it’s vital to use for scholarships and grants to assist cowl this ever-rising expense and to attenuate your pupil mortgage debt after you graduate.
School scholarships and fellowships for math, science and engineering college students are among the many most beneficiant and prestigious awards.
Along with science, expertise, engineering and arithmetic (STEM) scholarships, you possibly can seek for different scholarships utilizing a free scholarship search service, similar to Fastweb.com and the School Board’s Massive Future. You should utilize these web sites to search out different STEM scholarships with extra particular choice standards, and also will permit you to discover non-STEM scholarships that match your background.
We’ve additionally gathered The Greatest School Scholarship Search Web sites.
Common Undergraduate STEM Scholarships
These scholarships can be found to undergraduate college students in all or most STEM fields. They’re listed in accordance with the quantity of the highest prize and with probably the most beneficiant scholarships listed first.
- Regeneron Science Expertise Search (STS): U.S. college students enter a science or arithmetic venture within the “nation’s oldest and most prestigious STEM competitors for highschool seniors.” Winners are chosen based mostly on a scientific analysis report, solutions to essay questions, admissions check scores, transcripts and suggestions. 300 semi-finalists win a $2,000 faculty scholarship. Forty finalists win at the least a $25,000 faculty scholarship, with a prime prize of a $250,000 faculty scholarship.
- Breakthrough Junior Problem: College students worldwide, age 13-18, enter by making a 90-second video to elucidate a sophisticated idea or principle in science or arithmetic in an enticing and easy-to-understand approach. The winner receives a $250,000 faculty scholarship, plus a $50,000 prize for his or her trainer, plus as much as $100,000 to their college so as to add or renovate a science lab.
- Regeneron Worldwide Science and Engineering Honest (ISEF): College students worldwide can enter ISEF after profitable a prime prize of their native, state, regional or nationwide science honest. Grand Awards in every of 21 ISEF classes present money prizes of as much as $5,000 for a primary award. First award winners can win named awards value $10,000 to $75,000.
- Davidson Fellows Scholarships: College students who’re 18 years previous or youthful can win $10,000, $25,000 or $50,000 faculty scholarships by finishing a “important piece of labor” in science, expertise, engineering, arithmetic, literature, music, philosophy, or outside-the-box classes.
- U.S. Division of Protection STEM Scholarships: U.S. undergraduate and graduate college students can win scholarships and fellowships in 21 educational majors in STEM fields. Scholarship recipients should comply with work for a Division of Protection (DoD) facility for one 12 months for every year of help. The scholarships cowl full tuition, an annual stipend of at the least $25,000, 8 to 12 week summer time internships, and employment with the DoD after commencement.
- Collegiate Inventors Competitors: College students who’ve a patentable invention can compete for money prizes of as much as $15,000 and a patent acceleration certificates. That is open to U.S.-based and worldwide undergraduate and graduate college students at U.S. schools and universities.
- Technology Google Scholarships: These scholarships and fellowships can be found to U.S. and non-U.S. highschool seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students who’re or will probably be majoring in pc science. The scholarships and fellowships are value as much as $10,000. Candidates ought to exhibit monetary want. Google additionally gives scholarships for college kids with disabilities and for veterans.
- Toshiba/NSTA ExploraVision: This competitors is open to groups of two to 4 U.S. and Canadian elementary, center and secondary college college students keen on STEM fields. Successful groups obtain a U.S. EE Financial savings Bond value as much as $10,000 at maturity.
Area Particular Undergraduate STEM Scholarships
These scholarships are restricted to particular educational majors, highlighted in daring. They’re listed in alphabetical order.
- American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program: Scholarships can be found to U.S. and non-U.S. highschool seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students who’re or will probably be enrolled in nuclear science, nuclear engineering and associated fields (e.g., environmental science, supplies science, radioanalytical chemistry, thermal-hydraulics, reactor security, and so on.) at U.S. schools and universities. The scholarships are value as much as $2,500 ($1,000 for incoming freshmen) and the fellowships are value as much as $5,000. There are additionally need-based scholarships value as much as $5,000.
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program: U.S. college students from economically deprived backgrounds who’re keen on careers in biomedical, behavioral and social science health-rated analysis can win faculty scholarships and paid summer time analysis internships on the Nationwide Institutes of Well being (NIH). They will additionally obtain paid employment and coaching on the NIH after commencement. Scholarship recipients will need to have distinctive monetary wants. The scholarships are value as much as $20,000 per 12 months and might be renewed for as much as 4 years. Scholarship recipients should take part in a 10-week analysis internship in the course of the summer time after every year of scholarship help. Scholarship recipients should work at an NIH analysis laboratory for one 12 months for every year of help.
- NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship: U.S. faculty college students who’re keen on oceanic and atmospheric science, analysis, expertise, and schooling can win faculty scholarships value as much as $9,500 per 12 months for 2 years. Scholarship recipients should take part in a paid 10-week internship at a Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) facility.
- Novus Biologicals Scholarship Program: This scholarship is out there to highschool seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students enrolled at schools within the U.S., Canada, and Europe for examine in science-related fields, similar to biochemistry, biology, biomedical engineering, chemistry, environmental sciences, genetics, well being sciences, life sciences, medical sciences, microbiology, neuroscience, nursing, vitamin, pathology, pharmaceutical sciences, bodily remedy, psychology, social sciences, toxicology, veterinary medical sciences, and wildlife sciences. The scholarship is value as much as $1,500.
- SME Schooling Basis Scholarships: U.S. and Canadian highschool seniors and present faculty college students can apply for a number of faculty scholarships in manufacturing engineering and associated fields. Scholarships are value as much as $40,000 payable over 4 years.
- Society of Physics College students (SPS) Scholarships: This scholarship is out there to undergraduate college students who’re majoring in physics. Some can be found to college students majoring in any STEM area. Membership within the Society of Physics College students or Sigma Pi Sigma is required. The scholarships are value as much as $5,000.
- Society of Ladies Engineers (SWE) Scholarships: This scholarship is out there to feminine undergraduate and graduate college students keen on engineering and pc science. The diploma program should be ABET-accredited. The scholarships are value as much as $16,000.
- The American Rocketry Problem (TARC): TARC is a rocketry competitors open to U.S. center and highschool college students. Finalists compete for $100,000 in prizes and faculty scholarships value as much as $20,000 for the profitable groups.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholarship Program: This scholarship is out there to U.S. undergraduate and graduate college students majoring in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and associated life sciences (excluding healthcare professions) at U.S. schools and universities. The scholarship is value as much as $10,000.
- U.S. Stockholm Junior Water Prize: U.S. and non-U.S. highschool college students who’ve carried out a water-science analysis venture are eligible for regional, state, nationwide, and worldwide awards. Nationwide awards embody a $10,000 scholarship. Worldwide awards embody a $15,000 scholarship.
Undergraduate STEM Scholarships (Underrepresented Minority College students)
These scholarships are restricted to underrepresented minority college students and are restricted to particular educational majors.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Students Program: U.S. highschool seniors and undergraduate college students from underrepresented teams (African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Islander) can apply for scholarships in chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, and associated sciences (e.g., supplies science, petroleum engineering, forensic science, toxicology, pharmaceutical chemistry, agricultural chemistry, nanotechnology, ceramic science, and so on.) value as much as $5,000 per 12 months.
- Nationwide Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) Scholarships: These scholarships can be found to Black highschool seniors, undergraduate, and graduate college students majoring in engineering, pc science, and associated fields (e.g., physics). The scholarships are value as much as $10,000. Candidates should be pupil members of NSBE.
Common Graduate STEM Fellowships
These fellowships can be found for graduate college in all or most STEM fields. They’re listed in accordance with the quantity of the highest prize, with probably the most beneficiant fellowships listed first.
Just a few fellowships are included within the listings of undergraduate scholarships as a result of some are open to each undergraduate and graduate college students. These embody the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) Scholarships, American Meteorological Society (AMS) Scholarships and Fellowships, American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program, Technology Google Scholarships, Society of Hispanic Skilled Engineers (SHPE) Scholarships, and the U.S. Division of Protection STEM Scholarships.
- Hertz Basis Fellowships: This fellowship is out there to U.S. faculty seniors and first-year graduate college students who will pursue a Ph.D. within the utilized bodily and organic sciences, arithmetic, or engineering. This fellowship supplies as much as 5 years of funding value a complete of $250,000 at 40 collaborating U.S. universities. Fellows should make a “ethical dedication to place their expertise to work in occasions of nationwide emergency.”
- Nationwide Protection Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship. This fellowship is out there to U.S. graduate college students pursuing a Ph.D. in science and engineering. Eligible fields of examine embody aeronautical and astronautical engineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, cognitive, neural, and behavioral sciences, pc science, electrical engineering, geosciences, supplies science and engineering, arithmetic, mechanical engineering, ocean engineering, oceanography, physics, and area physics. The fellowship features a month-to-month stipend value as much as $38,400 per 12 months and full tuition and charges for 3 years. Extra funding is offered for medical insurance and for journey for skilled growth.
- Nationwide GEM Consortium Fellowships: This fellowship is out there to underrepresented U.S. graduate college students keen on Grasp’s and Ph.D. levels in science and engineering. The fellowship supplies a stipend of $16,000 and full tuition and charges for as much as 5 years. The fellowship additionally supplies paid summer time internships with GEM employer members. Underrepresented college students embody African-American/Black, Hispanic-American/Latino, and American Indian/Native college students.
Area Particular Graduate STEM Fellowships
These fellowships are restricted to particular educational majors, highlighted in daring. They’re listed in alphabetical order.
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship: This fellowship is out there to U.S. graduate college students in fields that “use high-performance computing to unravel complicated science and engineering issues.” The fellowship supplies an annual stipend of $36,000 plus tuition and charges for as much as 4 years of help. Fellowship recipients take part in 12-week practicum experiences at one in every of 21 DOE nationwide laboratories, together with entry to DOE supercomputers. College students should be faculty seniors or first-year graduate college students on the time of software. Eligible fields of examine embody utilized arithmetic, statistics, astrophysics, chemical engineering, chemistry, pc science, environmental science, life sciences, machine studying, supplies science, mechanical engineering, and physics.
- Microsoft Analysis Dissertation Grant Program: This fellowship is out there to underrepresented graduate college students in pc science, economics, ecology & setting, arithmetic, genomics, and social sciences Ph.D. applications at universities within the U.S. and Canada. The fellowship is value as much as $25,000. The proposed analysis should be aligned to the final areas of analysis carried out by members of Microsoft Analysis.
- Microsoft Analysis PhD Fellowship Program: This fellowship is out there to U.S. and non-U.S. graduate college students in Ph.D. applications in pc science. It’s value as much as $42,000 per 12 months for the third and fourth years of the Ph.D. program. Candidates should be nominated by the college.
- NOAA Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program: This fellowship is out there to U.S. graduate college students in Grasp’s diploma and Ph.D. applications at U.S. schools and universities in oceanography, marine biology, and maritime archaeology. The fellowships are awarded partially based mostly on the applicant’s demonstrated monetary want.
- Winston Churchill Basis of the USA Scholarship Program: This scholarship is out there to U.S. undergraduate college students who’re keen on pursuing a Grasp’s diploma on the College of Cambridge in science, arithmetic, and engineering. The scholarship covers the price of one 12 months, which is mostly a MPhil or MASt diploma.
- Woodrow Wilson Instructing Fellowship: This fellowship is for U.S. faculty seniors who’re keen on pursuing a Grasp’s diploma in science or arithmetic schooling on the College of Pennsylvania or West Chester College. The fellowship supplies a $32,000 stipend. Fellowship recipients should decide to educating in high-need secondary colleges in Pennsylvania for at the least three years.
Be taught extra about how one can apply for pupil loans and monetary help applications by state or discover grants that can assist you pay for school.